to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mystery Patchwork Part 2

What a long day!! We spent the entire day Monday at the children's hospital in Kansas City.
Not to worry, Seth has always had some bladder issues...just some minor tests he needed done so they can adjust meds. I didn't even get blogs read before bed. Yikes! And it's hot here. Oh, I am not complaining. I hate winter. I was just surprised the temps are in the 90's already! This isn't Texas, you know! Crazy weather everywhere!
I am not getting too far on my May for Me projects. But I did get to work on organizing some of my fabric. I cannot wait to show you my Creation Station. Soon I hope! Well, without further delay it's time for our....


May for Me Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along

If you are just joining, there is a tab up top to take you to the other parts of the Mystery.

Today we are going to sew up the rest of your charm 'buddies'. 
(I am talking your buddies...NOT your 4 sets of 4 that you are not supposed to be touching!)
When this quilt was still in the thinking stages, I just could not get pinwheels out of my mind.
Pinwheels--Dutch girls---they go hand in hand. So, lets make some.
( I am using the method that I learned from Jenny at the Missouri Star Quilt Company)

Match your charms right sides together.
This time sew all the way around all outside edges with a 1/4" seam allowance.
I traced in blue so that you could see where I stitched:

Cut your sewn square from corner to corner, both directions:

Open them up and you have magical half square triangles!

I can't stand all those little points getting in my way,
so I trim them off:

Sewing a pinwheel together can be confusing.
I just lay it all out next to my machine,
and sew it one step at at time.
 Take your time lining everything up. This time you get to trim it to fix your messed up edges
but next week I am not so nice. :)
Trim to 5".


You should have 5 finished pinwheels.

I can't wait to see your pinwheels over on flikr!


12 comments:

Wilma NC said...

I'll get those done today!!! yay!!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Cool way to make your half square triangles...thanks for sharing the technique...

Linda said...

Pretty, pretty! I haven't done pinwheels this way yet so I Can't wait to sew mine today :)

Marcia said...

I am a little behind... but I will catch up on the weekend! I relaxed too much on Mother's Day Weekend! Thanks for the sew along! Marcia

Heather said...

I like this technique! I'm going to work on mine today :D

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, a quick project for the day. Doing bindings and always need a little machine work to break it up.

Angie said...

I can't sew a button on, but I do so love looking at fabric. .. I know I'm crazy :)

A day at CMH is draining no matter what you're having done!
Enjoy the sunshine today!!

flowerofshona said...

Nope ! Can't wait got to go make them NOW!

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Pin Wheels where Jorge's first quilting squares... He says he likes your write-up on them... This is just way too much fun! Loving it!!

Evielynne

flowerofshona said...

Whhoooooooooooohoooooooooooo i made pin wheel's !!
Loved it so much, i never thought i would learn to do these,HUGE thanks xx
Will do piccys tomorow when i have got over the shock LOL.

Melissa said...

Very pretty, Tonya!

Sara G said...

I'm not a quilter but Pinwheels are one of my favorite types of squares. I like learning different crafts even if I don't personally do them myself. I always like cuddling under a quilt. Thanks for showing this technique for others to try.