to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mystery patchwork part 1

May for Me Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along

Are you ready for your first set of patchwork instructions?
First, grab your charm pack and spread it all out.


Next, you need to sort out two piles of four matching colored (or almost matching) squares.
The design does not have to match. 
Just the color.
Oh, and try to make them contrast well:


Now, do it again. 
Two sets of four matching squares for a total of four sets of four.
(If you are just reading this and it sounds confusing...
grab your charms and do it and it will click!)
Set these aside. Don't touch them, mess with them, or let your cat touch them!
You won't be using these until the last week of patchwork.
(But they needed to be picked out first so that you could get the colors right!)

Next, take the rest of your charm pack and make a 'buddy system'.
Pair them up so that they all contrast nicely.
Here are some of my buddy system charms:

NOW, FINALLY, you get to sew.
Pick out 8 pairs.
Match them right sides together and sew 1/4" seam down the right and left sides.
I used my blue transfer pen to show you my stitches:

Cut right down the middle of the square,
then cut across the middle side to side:

Open them up and sew them into four patch sections;
then trim the block to 4" square.
 When trimming, put the middle line of the block right down a line on your cutting mat.
This will insure that you make both sides even.
After trimming all four sides to make it 4" square you should have a nice pile of these:

You should have a total of 16. 
Told you this would be easy!

10 comments:

Wanda said...

This looks like it will be fun. I hope things are getting better.

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

I love the charm pack you used! I'll just be using what's in my stash. I better get to cutting & sewing!

I hope everything is alright with you!

Wilma NC said...

Hopefully will get this done today. FUN!!!

Linboose said...

Oh, Yay! I'm so going to go sew right now :) Thanks Tonya!! Wishing you a happy day!

Marcia said...

I didn't have a charm pack, so I used a nice pile of fat quarters - cut my squares from them. Can't wait til later today to sort and cut and sew! The fun has just begun! Thanks for sharing.

Today I am signing my signature...."Enjoy May! One day at a time!" Marcia

And keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you take one day at time...

Belinda said...

I want to do this, but can't start until next week. Maybe I can catch up really quick. I'll be using fabric from my stash, so I will have to add time for the cutting.
It looks pretty easy so far. :P
Praying for you.

Belinda

flowerofshona said...

im starting tomorrow :)

Snoodles said...

This looks like fun! I'm off to raid my stash!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Lynda said...

So far so good. I'm using part of a charm pack with stash additions to make enough. The tulips were easy and so is this. Yippee!

Sharon Pernes said...

I love this way of making 4 patch squares!