Thursday, May 26, 2011

Months in the Making!

I have been waiting months and months to show you my Creation Station. 
For some, their workshop is on the kitchen table or a small corner of the basement.
Me too...for years...until I sent the teenager to live in the basement
and took over his bedroom.

I doubt you will see another workstation quite like mine.
Well, I know each of us are different and none are exactly alike--
but I assure you--mine is, well Hillbilly Style!
(Let me remind you once again--a Hillbilly is NOT a redneck.
Ok, moving on...)

I was going to show you all the way around my room,
but you would just see a boring closet, desk, sewing zone.
But I will show you my Quiet Place:
The recliner is where I sleep.
Next to that is my Snoopy table that I LOVE,
along with my Scooby Doo alarm clock. (Yes Scooby Doo)
On the wall is my Peanuts Quilt still in the making.
I will use it at night when it's finished.
The shelf holds all my Peanut books.
Don't ya love it? It's a nice place to fall to sleep at night.
But even better is what I look at as I am falling to sleep.
Wanna see? In a minute...


I have seen many people on blogs show how they store their fabric
on comic book cardboards.
I just do not have money in the budget to buy cardboard!
So, I got to thinking...where do I have cardboard around the house?
OH YES...HERE:

Toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, wrapping paper rolls...
all FREE!

Ready to see the view from my recliner now?


Hows that for inspiring?

Shelves line the walls of my Creation Station.
I've got the fabric in rainbow order.
(You know...ROY G BIV.)

Here is the white/gray/black wall above my closet:

Of course this many rolls has taken months to collect.
We use very few paper towels (I'd rather wash towels than waste paper);
and I never use wrapping paper rolls. (umm I have fabric!)
So I have begged and begged and begged my friends to save theirs.
I've still a LONG way to go:

Green is finished but I need rolls for Blues, Purples, and turquoises.
Too bad they would be too expensive for you all to help me save 
and send them by mail!

What about when I use the fabric and there are empty spaces?
Since I have plenty of fabric, I try not to buy more.
I have oodles of my own hand dyed and holiday fabric, and novelty,
as well as floral and paisley, and African and Asian
(YES lots more fabric) just waiting for their chance to get on the wall!


17 comments:

Marcia said...

WOW I love the fabric rolls! It looks great! Now show us how you rolled them. And how much can fit on a roll? A yard a fat quarter? strips? I LOVE IT! I don't have shelves I have the clear sterite (SP?) drawers, but I think that would work for in the drawers too.

Thanks for sharing!

Really enjoying May today with your wonderful creation station! Marcia

Pat said...

I thoroughly enjoyed looking around your creative space. Its gorgeous! Wish I could mail you some :(
Have you tried making a request on freecycle?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is such a clever idea and look at the wonderful 'mural' you have created. I thank you for sharing your May For Me with me, it has been a blast of a month.

sweetybird09 said...

That is really neat and pretty, I agree on washing towels and using less paper ones...lol

Mariliz said...

Tonya...I absolutely LOVE it!!! Such a great idea. I don't have any paper towel rolls because I don't buy paper towels anymore either, but, if you want to try the comic book boards, I have about 50 extra I could mail you. They won't look as pretty as your rolls, but you're welcome to have them if you want them.

krisgray said...

GREAT IDEA!!! Love it!

Belinda said...

Oh how fun is that?!! I love it. What a great idea.

Stray Stitches said...

What a clever way to store fabric! And you get to see all of the pretty colors that way, too.

Linda said...

What a fantastic view from your recliner!! Super cool idea for fabric storage!!

BubzRugz said...

It looks fantastic..... very clever ...
Hugz

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Excellent!! :-)
I couldn't do that here as we live in an outback mining town and dust is a daily problem. My fabrics would be ruined so quickly.
Love how you did the ROYGBIV!!
Hugs
Jenny

QuiltSue said...

What a really clever fabric storage idea.

Jindi's Cottage said...

Love it! The picture of all those yummy fabric rolls on the shelf just made me smile...such a happy view from your chair...

Mary L. said...

What a great idea! Love the way it looks.

SewCalGal said...

What a great idea. Your fabrics looks so beautiful displayed this way. Love it. Like art. I think it would be fun to visit your sewing room and just admire all your fabric, beautifully displayed on toilet paper rolls. I think Quilt Shops and Art museums need to hire you to help them display. Great, great, great idea.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kelli said...

That is just too cool! I love how you can see all of them that way. And what a pretty view from your recliner! :)

Carrie P. said...

Fascinating! Art in itself.