to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, May 9, 2011

ME inspiration!

I had a nice quiet day yesterday for Mother's Day.
Jerry had to work a 12 hour,
and the boys and I did some cleaning and walked to the park in the evening.
I also stayed unplugged until 10 pm...so that was good!

Mondays during May are my days to chat about me...
to help you get to know me better.
If you want to know how I got started in quilting,
that story is up under the favorite post button.
(It's actually split into 3 posts..but it's a good read if you've the time.)
Since I already told my quilting story,
I thought I would talk a bit about my inspiration today.
(I apologize as it is has a bit of randomness to it.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quite some time back ( I think around three months ago),
I was feeling down that I just could not get my little business off the ground.
I had called Amy (my grown daughter) and asked her why in the world I was still trying to have a business after twenty years of trying to get going without success? I mean, that IS depressing, you know?
(It's not that my business failed...it's that it never got to get started!)
Twenty years of life getting in the way of my dream.
It's been a good life (well, some parts I'd rather have never met);
but it's been crazy to say the least.

Amy treated us to Chinese food shortly after that conversation and you would not believe what my fortune cookie said...


Use your abilities at this time to stay focused on your goal. 
You will succeed. 

Not that I believe in those silly little fortunes (who does?!) but it sure was good timing!
I brought that little slip of paper home and it's taped to my computer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't exactly always seek my inspiration from fortune cookies.
(You were probably thinking that's why I never got my business off the ground!)
One blog friend in particular has probably been my biggest inspiration over the last year.
She is encouraging and supportive to me.
I learn so much from her as she works hard to perfect her art.
And she blogs about her ups and downs along the way.
Perhaps she is most known for her dog paintings. 
This is a painting she did of our beloved Dawg that passed away.
Here is a recent dog that she did all out of painting dots:

This very recent post was really interesting to me.
She explained what she did, why and what she learned.

I love it when she shows the process from start to finish like in these:

You can VISIT PAT HERE.

I don't paint. I can't even draw.
But, through Pat I've learned to take my time,
learn the process,
and enjoy doing it.

I am so glad to have found a wonderful friend and inspiration in Pat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was thinking of a couple of friends today as I took my evening stroll,
and I had this thought.

Allow others to inspire you,
but don't let them influence you.

I know this sounds strange.
But, what I guess what I mean is a continuation of that post awhile back 
when I said that just because everyone else is jumping off the cliff, 
you don't have to!

BE INSPIRED, by all means,
but please, please, don't feel like you have to do anything just because 
everyone else in blog land (or churchland, or schoolland, or facebook land or...) is doing it.

That means if you can't do MAY for ME this month because life won't let you,
then that's ok. Let what we are doing INSPIRE you,
but don't let it INFLUENCE you into getting stressed over not getting your ME plans accomplished this month if life won't let it work out for you. 
Pick another month, or a day here or there,
or what works for YOU. 

"Allow others to inspire you, but don't let them influence you."



14 comments:

Heather said...

Great inspirational quote! I love Pats work too. :D

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great advise Tonya - we all spin at different speeds and directions, sometimes bumping into each other.

Marcia said...

It all goes back to my favorite song... Make you own kind of music, sing your own special song, make your own kind of music, even if no one else sings along... I aways say do what is best for you... I am quite often inspired by others including you! And May for you can be "minutes for you" anytime of the year! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! I really enjoy following you!

Angie said...

Good stuff! Glad you had a peaceful Mother's Day!
And BTW, those are good words for all of life!
Hard to find the balance sometimes, but we've got to try.
Enjoy the sunshine today!

Linda said...

Very well put Tonya! I tell my kids this all the time! Be inspired and lead and to be independent thinkers.

debi said...

Beautifully written! And sometimes we just "do" because we can, (and love to) and hopefully that will spill into selling. We all need to concentrate on doing what we love to do and "let the chips fall were they may" HAHA...may

Sara G said...

Thank you for your post! A reminder that even though I'm now a part of blogland I don't need to stress about it.
I'm inspired by anyone that can do crafts and art, especially more now that I have limited use of my right hand. And as others have said.. I'm inspired by you. Have a great day!

Snoodles said...

Lovely post, Tonya, with very much needed words for me to hear! I'm sure others have been helped, too. I've met so many nice people in blogland, and I appreciate what they all bring to the discussion....so many different outlooks, different ways of expressing the creativity that we all enjoy. Glad you had a pleasant Mothers' Day!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

~Niki~ said...

so glad I just found your sweet blog~I'm having 2 giveaways now and very few have signed up. Wanted to let you know about them!
butternut street

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Life lessons can be the hardest... In your case NOT!! May for Me has allowed me to learn something new with out the fear of failing. LOL like my poor little bear... But it was fun to fail - something I am not good at. So it's been fun to free myself from fear and failure all this month. However for Jorge is means something totaly different....

Evielynne

Pat said...

Tonya, you're the dearest friend a girl could have.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoy watching my works in progress and the finished works. You may not be able to draw or paint, but as I've always said to you - you are an artist in fabric. I am proud to own one of your wall hangings... great art.. in fabric. *hugs*

Belinda said...

Perfect timing...for me too. I've really been concerned that I'm not really doing enough for ME in May. Not really any good ideas, and so far, nothing seems to be different, except I just keep telling myself to relax. (Having a hard time with that.) Your post just reminded me there is no May for Me police. The ME stuff will happen when it happens. I'm just going to hope a little of it does. :) Thanks Tonya.
And oh yeah...you sure are blessed to have a good friend. Anyone with one good friend is blessed, as far as I'm concerned.

rubyslipperz said...

I wanna tape BOTH of your sayings...to...SOMEWHERE I can see them OFTEN...maybe I will type them up and put them in several places...these are GREAT advice! Thanks for posting.

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Hi sweets. I love this post. I'm a person that believes things come to us for a reason. Little things, like a message in a cookie. :)
"We all have our own life to pursue,oOur own kind of dream to be weaving...and we all have the power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing." -Louisa May Alcott
Taking time for oneself makes life better for others around us. ;)
xx, shell