May for Me has really not turned out how we expected, has it?
Marcia, spent a good part of the month caring for her mother in the hospital.
I have spent the last week of the month with my leg all propped up.
(Well, except for that one evening when I forgot that I wasn't superwoman.)
In spite of these things,
it has been a wonderful month!
With the quilt along, I learned so much about design. That's why I did it...to learn. I love to teach; but I love to learn as well. I have a brand new machine and I was so eager to try all different aspects of it, I decided to use my May for Me quilt as a learning piece.
I started with pebble quilting. This is done free motion. I am not good at free motion at all; and I really wasn't sure that I like the look of pebble quilting. But it was SO EASY and even when I messed up it just looked like part of the pebbles! I did the pebbles in all of the stitchery blocks.
Next I wanted to try out my new Accufeed foot.
My new machine (Janome Horizon) has a built in walking foot.
I just did some simple straight line quilting in the four patches.
Then I realized this really wouldn't work for the other blocks,
so I tried out my new quilting guide.
I set it a bit less than 2" and did diagonal quilting.
For the sashing, I decided my quilt was already a mish mash of quilting patterns,
so why not try some pre-programmed stitches.
Normally, I am not a fan of these. At all.
But this wave wasn't so bad.
It would be ok in something that was very narrow.
(sorry it's fuzzy.)
Next I did another pre-designed stitch.
I did tulips just on the outside sashing.
I really didn't like them much at all.
And I got crooked.
This is the other problem I have with my arm.
I really have a hard time feeding the quilt evenly and not letting it tug to the left.
My left arm doesn't extend and I really struggle with this step.
So, I need to stick to something that isn't hard to keep straight.
And I am sticking to small quilts too.
Smaller means less tug!
Finally, on the outside border,
I finished my mish mash of learning with just a cross-hatch design.
On the back I used a dark color so that I could purposely see my stitches.
I was testing the tension on my new machine for all of the different types of quilting.
I was very pleased with the result.
I never changed the tension at all,
whether I was free-motioning or not.
I am loving my new machine for sure after this!
And I have a cute little quilt to hang every spring,
that will remind me of our first ever May for Me!
and all of the wonderful new friends that I met along the way.