Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Stitchery One: Tulips!

May for Me Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along

Today is the day!
I am giving you your first stitchery design...
and you have a whole week to complete it :)
Starting next week, you'll get patchwork instructions on Tuesdays,
and stitchery designs on Thursdays.

As most of you guessed, 
this wall hanging has something to do with Tulips!
The first stitchery block is tulips. 
Here is what mine looks like.


When it is trimmed the bottom row of the stems should be just 1/4" from the bottom so that they catch in the seam allowance. I didn't take photos as I trimmed and I am not showing you any hint of the finish!
(Late night photo taking doesn't work so well, thus the dark image)

Enlarge to see, but I stitched mine using a stem stitch for the stems and backstitch for the petals. (I think I called it straight stitch on the pattern...I am a bit too machine minded sometimes.)

Here is the link to the pattern which includes cutting guidelines:


Here are a couple of useful links to videos if you are new to stitching:



I have started a Flikr group for those that would like to upload photos and share them.

And now, your hint for next week:


13 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Good Morning Tonya! Printed and ready to stitch

Linboose said...

Tanya, I love this design!! I am printing as I type this!! Soo excited :)

Madame Samm said...

aahhhhh your tulips Tonya...is just the freshest thing I have seen this morning..spot on deary...pip pip cheerio as Nan would say wink..

Marcia said...

Just printed the tulips and I will get out my supplies and stitch tonight while sitting with my husband this evening! I am going to try some embroidery - did one a couple years ago and then before that 20 plus years ago. I am a machine person for everything! This is good for me! Thanks!

Lynda said...

OK this doesn't look too difficult...my hand work isn't the best but I'm going to give it a try. Bring it on!!

Mariliz said...

So excited....this will be my 1st time stitching. I need to run to the store and buy the supplies.

Snoodles said...

This is going to be fun! Did you tell us already what you suggested for our thread? Are we using cross-stitch "floss" or something else?
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Heather said...

Love it! I'm going to give this a try! :) Simple & quick designs are what I need at the moment.

John'aLee said...

Darling Tonya! Good for you .... inspiring others!

Patty@Granma's said...

Tonya - this looks like so much fun! if it weren't for taking care of mom i'd join right in. instead i'm changing my may-for-me project to cleaning closets at mom's place. so far i've cleared out about 3 trash bags of long expired foodstuff. hope you all have a blast with your project - hugs(!)

Sherry said...

I bought my fabric today and printed the design off, now to get started.

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Tonya so sorry just now getting to your blog - it's been a wild day here in the Sanchez household. I have to go to the office tomorrow to print... So excited!!

Evielynne

Jindi's Cottage said...

Your tulips are really cute and I love the way the variegated Cottage Garden has stitched up...but then I could be biased about the colour *LOL*...