to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stabilizing Tips

When hand stitching,
 it is important to line the back of your fabric with a stabilizing product.
This also helps keep thread from showing through to the front.

Most people use lightweight fusible interfacing.
It is inexpensive, easy to use, and does not add bulk.
Here is a photo of some stitching done with fusible interfacing:
The interfacing is the white fabric on the top layer in the photo;
this particular piece has broadcloth for the stitched fabric.
(I will be compare different types of fabric to stitch on another day this week.)

When I received the Vignette magazine in the mail, 
I was surprised to find out that the author uses a very thin fusible batting
for her stitching. So, I went on a search for some.
(One thing to note--Timtex or Fast2Fuse products are too stiff. 
They are best saved for fabric bowls, boxes and such.)
I want to run to the city sometime and see if I can find something a bit more thin,
but for now I did find this somewhat thin Pellon fusible batting.

Can you tell the difference in the product from the two photos?
After using them, I for the most part LOVE the batting as opposed to interfacing.
The interfacing tends to shrink and wrinkle under the heat of the iron.
The batting...NO wrinkling at all. 
That is a big bonus in my book!
Here is a front comparison of the two blocks before ironing.
Very very wrinkled

No wrinkles at all.
(Yes some is the difference in fabric but most is the difference in stabilizers.)
I will be using the batting all of the time from now 
on unless the added bulk is a problem for a particular project..

How about an ironing hint now?
When you iron your stitching,
find the fluffiest towel you own,
and put your stitching right side down on the towel to iron.
This really helps get the wrinkles out easier;
plus it doesn't flatten the stitching,
and if you use beads they won't be getting in the way.

Finally, here are our finished blocks after ironing:
Pesky wrinkles

No wrinkles--and excuse the missing 's' on Christmas.
Printing problems. 
Operator error.

Tomorrow I will show you how to print on fabric both for photos
and for stitching. 
I also have a hint to help run the fabric through your printer better.

Also this week---fabric comparison for stitching and top brand floss comparison.


~Tonya~

13 comments:

BubzRugz said...

Hiya, I love the pellon too... but I also use the WispaWeave (??) looking forward to reading your other comparisons...
Hugz

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Mornin' Tonya. I always wash, press and starch my stitching fabric so it is very crisp and flat to start with. I like using a light box to trace my pattern. I use a very lightweight iron on pellon for backing - gives the piece a little more stability and straightness to your stitches. I don't hoop - just hold in my hand. I usually do not have to re-press after stitching, but if I do I use a towel on my ironing board as well as over the piece - hot dry iron. Steam pressing will shrink your fabrics as well as your threads - may even bleed your threads if not color fast.

B-Z-Quilting said...

These are great tips, thank you! I need to check today on the fusible batting. I am totally new to embroidery, so I will be checking back daily for your tips. :)

Madame Samm said...

Good Morning Tonya...well I use flannel on the backs of my stitching and I do find it easier to stitch and it is not wrinkly ...I tried the pellon, it did not work well for me....and I use a hoop...funny though cause when I am hand quilting and stitching on a quilt I just put it in my lap....like your choices for embroidery...nice ..

Marcia said...

Great information...I have only done a little hand embroidery with no stabilizer, but I like the idea of a stabilizer or a thin batting on the back. I wonder if you could use the thin poly thermore batting with a batting spray adhesive?

I added your tips onto the May for Me listing! Thanks for doing them!

Heather said...

Well, it seems I've been hand embroidering the wrong way all these years! I suppose it doesn't really matter but I'll try some stabilizer on my next project.

Barb said...

Thanks for the info, love your stitchery!

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Thats how how do it as well... I love your chosen projects...

jill said...

Tonya, Thanks for the commentary. I am so glad to see the resurgance of hand embroidery. I have only used stablizer under machine embroidery and I really liked the look of the fusible batting. Are you enjoying the Vignette magazine?

Michelle May (Shell) said...

My favorite is a fusible fleece. I use it in most of my stitcheries. I like the little bit of quilted look it makes.
xx, shell

Snoodles said...

Tonya, These are great tips...I'd never thought of putting the stitchery face down on the towel...makes sense though! I'm bookmarking this so I can refer to it again!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Charlie and Wendy said...

Thank you so much for the helpful tips, the Vignette quilt is the first time I have used the Pellon and I am enjoying it.

QuiltSue said...

Thanks,as someone who has a feeling that she might try some stitchery soon, I found this really interesting.