to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Friday, April 15, 2011

Pickles and Pennies

Two years ago I started an Etsy shop.

Two years plus about two weeks ago I found out I was expecting.
Now that was funny. Well, not too funny.
But we can laugh about it now. 
My poor dear husband could not believe it.
After 4...yes 4...tests he finally did believe it.



Oh, now look, I've gone and chased a rabbit.

What I was getting at, is,
I opened an etsy store....
and although I did sell some things,
the timing was...well pretty much awful.

Now the time has come that I really need to make a bit of money.
My husband works two jobs and way too many hours.
He is an old man( sorry husband--I love you!),
and has a little boy that wants to see him more.

I have been getting a bunch of these ready to sell:



And am hoping to launch patterns soon.
(I am trying to figure out how to do all the pdf stuff.)

But, I am just not sure that I am ready to do the Etsy thing again.
It takes SO much time that I don't have. 
Networking, and listing, and re-listing, and photos.
UGH.
I need time to sew much less do all that!

And the personal website doesn't work well either. 
I do get lots of blog exposure, 
but quilters aren't going to buy quilted items.

So, I am in a pickle. 

I need to make a bit of income to relieve stress on my hubby,
but I am not willing to get Etsy-stressed to do it.


Any ideas?
Oh, and yes, I do want to do a few trade shows.
The good ones cost a pretty penny to get in to them.
Those are hard to come by anymore, aren't they?

12 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Check with your local commerce - see what local events are going on to get into. ** you may need a tax card** Local church bazaars are usually cheeper cost table rental or a quilt guild table sale? Yes, quilters buy from quilters. I vend at quilt shows - my best shows, as a quilter appreciates the work. Maybe a local consignment shop?? Maybe your local quilt shop will let you put up a sign?

NorthernStar said...

I'm not sure how things work with sales in America, we often have craft fairs in our village hall that my sister sells her jewellery at. If you need any help with the pdfs then let me know x

The Tulip Patch said...

Feel free to pick my brain on the pdf/pattern thing. I remember how hard it was for me to get started and figure out how to do that.

Heather said...

I'm right here with you Sis... trying to figure things out too. Although I'm running my 4 Etsy shops, I need to look into offsites that cost less. I've heard shoppepro.com is WAHM friendly & when I have time I'll look into it. I did not like godaddy at all!

Angie said...

I was wondering if there were any shops there in town that would let your rent a spot or even put up a sign.
I would think if people could see/touch your work it would help it sell.
Of course, I have absolutely no experience so don't listen to me.

OH OH, what if you did 'home parties' like the girls who do mary kay or pampered chef.
Get some of your church friends to host a party, you bring some things to sell and just some samples and they could order.
Host would provide snacks and guest list and she would get a free item.

Dorky? I don't know, but it might be fun and it's different.

Jorge and Evielynne's RV Adventures Blog said...

Get into the party scene... You could do party theme for b-day parties... YOU need to keep doing these - super cute.... You should do some RV theme for us old people (hint hint)...

basketsbyrose said...

Market them for children's birthday parties, they are very cute!

Pat said...

sent the link to someone who might want to stock them. Fingers crossed xx

BubzRugz said...

Those are lovely.... sorry I have no help... I do see lots of people selling on facebook? don't know if that is any easier than etsy though...
All the best in your venture....

Snoodles said...

Looks like some good ideas have been offered...I was going to echo some of them. There are a couple of consignment shops in our small town, and I notice they have lots of handcrafted things that seem to sell well. We also have two festivals - one in the spring and one in the fall. People rent booths and sell their handwork. I hope some of the things above my answer help you. They seem like good opportunities to me.
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Greetings and Gifts said...

I'm interested in your picnic sets and the possibility of selling them for you. Pat Elliott sent me across. Could you email me on crafti.cardz@gmail.com with your pricing if you're interested.

You're quilting is lovely by the way.

Many thanks,
Jackie Robson

Patty@Granma's said...

T. sorry I've been away a bit. We had a lovely spring storm last week and it put our internet provider down for a few days (still not up). My sis is watching my Mom for a couple of hours so I could come home to shower and play catch-up. In my shop I sell hand crafted items for 5 local quilters, but it's very dicey if you are thinking of regular income. Some of them sell quite a bit one month, very little the next. And I did the craft fair circus for a couple of years before I opened my shop. VERY time consuming - a day to pack up the next day to set up and sell, and a day to unpack, re- press and repair. I've wanted to try the home party thing for some time - again - not enough time. I do hope you find something that works for you.... three hugs and luck from me!