to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along Requirements

So, now that I've gotten you all curious,
it is time to tell you the 'vitals' for our

May for Me Mystery Quilt n Stitch Along.

I purposely designed the quilt to be charm pack friendly. I like to do this for several reasons.

  • Charm packs are relatively inexpensive, especially on sale.
  • They are great for beginners.
  • They are easy to duplicate from your stash.
That being said, I designed the quilt around the charm packs. The blocks will line up a bit differently than you might be used to. (they aren't all the same size blocks). I was a bit nervous about this at first, but it turned out great!


The finished quilt will be a small wall hanging, approx. 30" wide by 43" tall.
There are a total of four stitchery designs and just a few quilt blocks.

You will need the following (I like to be generous with my fabric. You will have leftovers except for your charm pack):
  • One charm pack (or 42 squares from your stash cut to 5" each. This is important, you will be using them as 5" squares.) This is a very SPRING-y design, so pick bright, fun, spring colors. ( I am using Buttercup by Robert Kaufman which only has 40 squares. I had to 'make' two more.)
  • A few matching scraps to 'fill in' a couple of blocks. These will be very small areas.
  • 1/3 yd of solid for your stitchery designs
  • 1/2 yd for sashing
  • 1 yd for border/binding
  • backing, batting of your choice
  • embroidery floss. I used Cottage Garden Poppy which was a wonderful spring rainbow color. Perfect! It comes in a 10 meter skein and I used almost all of it. If you are using 8 meter skeins you will need to buy two.
I will be releasing the first stitchery design the last week of April, then in May I will do two posts a week for the Mystery quilt. One post will be fabric/ piecing, the other will be a stitchery design. The last full week of May we will put the blocks together and finish. You will find this to be very easy and won't have any trouble at all getting your step done in a week. (This coming from someone with very little time on her hands!!)

12 comments:

Wilma NC said...

I'm looking forward to this!!!

Wanda said...

I wish I was doing this along with you but my "May for Me" project is to get my craft room renovated. Have fun!

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

Linboose said...

I'm excited and cant wait to see the first block!! OH and I love tulips!! All of mine were eaten up by neighboring woodland creatures ;0

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Now it was fate - I have a charm pack I have been 'fondling' to play with and just got some new Valinda floss - I will put up my supplies in it's own little basket waiting!

Lynda said...

Sounds pretty interesting. I'm not much for handstitching but I do love Spring!

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

GENIUS.... I can't get over how cool and clever of you! Jorge will be hogging the maching for the month of May - but will be folling the patterns for future use. He loves this!!

flowerofshona said...

Ohhh i would love to join in, am i to late ???
Im only a novice so it may be above my level (im managing to do the Vignette).
Need a good excuse to go fabric shopping lol!

Pat said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this all made up! :) xx

Marcia said...

This is going to be so cool!

We all have big plans for May, but I am going to fit this into my May for Me plans. I am not a hand stitcher, so this is going to be very good for me to do something new. I did a little embroidery for guild once and about 25 years ago with a kit thing.

Thanks for doing this from all of us!

Sherry said...

I had so much fun doing the tablerunner with you last fall and I am excited about joining in for this project. I should have checked your post earlier because I stopped at my favorite quilt shop today. I have my list, now to find the fabric I want to use.

hopemitch said...

This sounds like so much fun! Now just to go through my stash to find the fabrics :)

flowerofshona said...

ok im upto date so far lol

[IMG]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh317/flowerofshona2008/hillbillybom.jpg[/IMG]