to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, April 11, 2011

Freedom to just do!

This morning I read a blog post over at

It got me to start thinking...
how often do we follow the 'trend' in our art/craft?

Here in America, a favorite parental phrase is,
"If everyone else jumps off a cliff, 
does that mean you will too?"

In other words, 
just because everyone else is doing something,
does that mean you should too?

I've always been a bit of a rebel.
No, not in behavior.
In not doing what the crowd is doing.
I usually will do quite the opposite 
just to prove that I can.

Yes, I am really enjoying hand-stitching right now,
but not because it's the hot trend in quilting.
I started it because it gives me something to do
while hanging out with my men--in the living room--
where there is no sewing machine.

There are actually several 'hot trends' in the quilt world right now.
Such as all those free BOM's and Stitcheries over on my right side bar.
But, I hate BOM's!! I cannot stand having all those projects going at once.
I like to make a project...and get it done. Then start another. 
So, unlike the crowd, I am working through them one at a time.
There are a couple of them that I already have all of the patterns needed.
The rest will sit and wait until I get them. 
I'd rather wait than have 12 projects going at once!

That being said, when I introduce my small quilt pattern 
during May for Me,
it will be small, easy and quick. 
No waiting for more than a week for the next step! 

Other big trends are swaps.
Block swaps, scrap swaps,
swap, swap, swap. 
I tried two swaps last year. UGH.
Not for me. 
(although you really should check out that Hands2Help Challenge.
It's pretty neat and for a good cause. )

There are even trends in our methods of quilting.
Do we pre-wash, or no?
Straight grain binding or no?
Machine stitch binding or no?

If I have learned one thing...
Do it YOUR way.
Don't stress how everyone else does things.
That is why I did all those experiments last week with my stitching.
(one still to come...my color experiment is washing as I type.)
I read up on all the methods...then I do what works best for me. 

Same with blogging. 
I blog when I want, 
say what I want,
and change my page how I want.
When I first started, I followed every quilt blog that I could find.
I have purged many of those. And that is ok.
You can purge---guilt free!

I guess what this post boils down to 
is an expansion of the post that I read earlier today.

Just because the crowd is jumping off the cliff,
you don't have to!

15 comments:

BubzRugz said...

The saying I was brought up was "if I said jump into a fire would you?" ....
Yup - do whatever floats your boat I reckon...
Hugz

Mariliz said...

I hear ya, Blogging, sewing, crafting should be fun! Don't try to be any but yourself.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The problem with BOM's are you end up with a quilt that 300+ people have - I like my own thank you. And the waiting to finish is a killer. The new Modern fabrics remind me of the 60's and 70's - been there done that. I like to do swaps that are different - Quilters Gallery is a good one for that. Or swaps that are international. And I like a challenge.

The Tulip Patch said...

Glad you liked that post!

I hate swaps and bees- I know it would make me a nervous wreck.

@Vrooman's quilts...I told someone today if country blue and mauve like I grew up with becomes hip, I am not gonna be happy!

Marcia said...

You said it just right! I was thinking the other day that I am never doing what others are doing. I just do my own thing all the time.

My favorite song is... Make your own kind of music... sing your own special song...make your own kind of music ...even if no one else sings along... You've got to make your own kind of music! OR make your own kind of quilts, crafts and blogs!

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

Hey you got it!! I am always in envy of you... I am wondering if your dealing with what I am - having people tell you how to blog... Lets see they tell me question of the day is dumb and etsy feature of the day is a waste - no way both of these help. It helps the seller and it helps anyone who wants to try something new. I so love your voice - it's strong and HEARD!!

Pat said...

That's my girl! You march to the beat of your own drum!
and no purging my blog :lol:

QuiltSue said...

I so agree with you. I long ago came to the conclusion that both quilting and blogging are things we do cos we enjoy them, so they should be done how and when we want, and they should be fun!

NorthernStar said...

I agree entirely! The only thing that I'd like to do like everyone else is blog more but I just don't have the time . I love that your blog is a breath of fresh air. Sometimes it's frustrating that all blogs seem to have exactly the same posts.

B-Z-Quilting said...

I am right there with you! I did a block swap at my local quilt shop three years in a row, and those blocks are still just blocks. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful and I will be making quilts. I simply found it to be one more thing on my "to-do list" and it was no longer fun. In a time when I am trying to simplify, it was just time to stop. As far as new quilting trends, I am never going to criticize what sweetens someone else's tea, but most of the new "artsy" quilts are just not for me. Give me a log cabin or star block any day. I hope you have a blessing-filled day!

Judi said...

It's your thing, do what you wanna do.
I can't tell you, who to sock it to.
I'm just humming along as I read your blog.
I hope you have a great day.

Angie said...

It seems you have struck a quilting nerve, My Friend.

Enjoy the day, you rebel! :)

Sarah Craig said...

Way to go!! I think you said it very well (and thanks for giving a shout-out to Hands2Help!!)

Have a wonderful day!!

Melissa said...

You are absolutely right! If you don't like your craft or if you are feeling stressed by it, then the very thing you love becomes a thing you hate. What could be sadder?

Patty@Granma's said...

Three cheers for you my friend!!! I know what you mean and I agree wholeheartedly. I have some hard decisions to make in the coming months and I'm going to put this post where I can see it - as a reminder to follow MY path! Thanks again,