to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Two or Four?


Kids are always getting in the way of my sewing!


Actually I am quite proud of Seth and will have to blog about it soon.
He has a couple of awards that I need to claim bragging rights on.
But, for now, he needs to get out of my way because I have a question for you.



In the photo, I have used four strands of floss on the left,
and two on the right.
Which do you like better? Click to enlarge so that you can tell better.

When I start a new hobby, I bury myself in it.
I find everything I can about it. The internet and blogs are so wonderful for this!
When I started hand embroidery a few months ago,
I really did some reading. And learning.
I have done LOTS of embroidery over the last several months.

Next week I am going to show a few tricks that I have learned.
(Such as the easiest way to iron wrinkles so that you don't smash your stitches or if you use beads and they get in the way. I will also show how to print right on fabric --as that is how I do my design transfer--, and how I make it so that my blocks just don't wrinkle and distort so that I can pre-sew the blocks together without worry.) 


13 comments:

QuiltSue said...

I think I prefer the 2-strand version, but I definitely like the new look!

Sarah Craig said...

I think the 2-strand version, too - plus it's so much easier to work with 2 than with 4!

Patty@Granma's said...

Four thread really stands out. I like it.

Colleen said...

I think they both look great! I would use 4 if I wanted something to stand out and 2 for normal. Kind of like bold opt with text.

Marcia said...

I am going to say both are very nice, as I don't hand embroider. I have tried it - did two projects, turned one into a quilt for my butcher block with the one embroidered block in the center. I like Colleen's idea of some normal and an option to use 4 strand for bold! Beautiful embroidery! Thanks for sharing ... looking forward to the tips.

Mariliz said...

I like the 2 strand better. Gosh darn it your blog is so cute, now you have me wanting to redo mine.

B-Z-Quilting said...

Your work is beautiful! I will be watching closely next week because I have had an idea in my head for a small quilted wall hanging that involves embroidery in the middle. I have done a lot of backstitching when I used to cross-stitch, but never any true embroidery. Can't wait to see what you have to share!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's a personal preference as well as how bold a color you want. Great idea of putting your findings and experience into your blog. There is more needlework being combined with quilting, so a Nice resource like that would be helpful. Like the new look,, too.

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing said...

the boots stick out like a sore thumb and I like sore thumbs. I love personal needlework done on quilts it brings back true ownership to the art world. You did good girl - that is you did GREAT!!

NorthernStar said...

I like the 2 strand version because it's much crisper. Happy new colour scheme!

BubzRugz said...

I like both your blocks... I don't think it really matters as long as you are getting the look that YOU want in the project.... your needlework is great....
Hugz

Christine M said...

Both blocks look good but I prefer the 2 strands. Four would be good if you really wanted something to really stand out.

Melissa said...

I believe I like four for these "line drawing" designs, though probably just two for more intricate stitchery.