to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hillbillies Hate Geometry!!

At least this one does. 
When I was in high school, 
I was an honor student. 
I Aced Algebra. I loved the stuff.
Geometry....
well I found myself begging for extra credit.

So, why in the world was I dumb enough 
to pick a hobby that uses so much geometry?
Probably for the same reason that I picked a hobby
that uses so much drawing....when I can't draw.
(I still am not sure of that reason.)

What am I getting at?
Well, I was going to enter a contest for Moda Bake shop.
I was using this pattern:
(find it HERE)

If you saw yesterday's post, 
you will see that I had several embroidery squares,
including a name.

I wanted to write Savanna along the top and right side,
and put the other embroidery along the left side and bottom.
Only, the fabric charm pack I chose...Max and Whiskers,
does not look good 'on point'. 
(Diamond shape for you non-quilters).
Ok, I figured, no big deal.
I'll just make all the blocks square instead of diamond
so Max doesn't always fall on his nose.

I spent a month stitching all those blocks...
and then went to piece it together today,
and guess what?
When you don't put it on point,
then you don't have that pretty other color
separating the blocks.
(In the photo the ABC blocks around the outer edge
is separated by green diamonds.)
Without the extra color, mine looks terrible!

So, I had to figure out a completely different way 
to piece the thing together.
 I don't like it near as well as the on point version.
And I am not even sure if I'll enter it into the contest now.
I'll see when it is finished--
Which I guess won't be for a few days now.

Stupid geometry.
This is probably why I never design quilts on point.
Do any of you struggle with this as well?



6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, don't give up the ship. Maybe if you show a photo - some of your folks can give you some suggestions. I only work certain block patterns on point - love a 9-patch on point. But math makes my head sping, too.

Wanda said...

Yup, show us what you've got and maybe we can help. I already have a couple and haven't even seen it yet (how's that for southern twang in writing).

Wanda
http://wandas-quilts-crafts.blogspot.com/

krisgray said...

Your title and first sentence could have been written by me. I am often struck by how much I disliked geometry and here I am dealing with it in my chosen hobby! I haven't done on point yet but hope to soon (another UFO). Good luck and don't hive up - take a breather and see if that helps.

Lynda said...

Sometimes we are too close to the quilt to be objective. It is probably wonderful!

The Tulip Patch said...

not only did I hate geometry, I think my geometry teacher hated having me!

The Tulip Patch said...

PS they would LOL if they knew I have used the pythagorean theorem in real life! hahaha