to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Totally Inspired!

Sometimes as artisans, 
we get 'art block' or whatever you want to call it.
I usually don't have much problem with that...
My problem is not having time to create everything that I want to!

Wayne has asked us to link up today,
and discuss what inspires us in our creations.
Many things inspire me!!

1) People

This is a block from the latest prayer quilt I'm working on.
I LOVE making these ministry quilts.
I like to find out what colors the person might like,
what they love (animals, modern, retro, etc.),
and create something that is very THEM.
The same goes for prison pooch blankies.
I want to make sure each blankie matches that dogs personalilty.

2) Seasons
And I don't just mean the calendar seasons,
although that does sometimes inspire what colors I am using.
I mean life seasons. 
Sometimes I like making traditional type quilts,
and I choose muted colors.
Other times I love BRIGHT AND BOLD,
and a completely non-traditional quilt. 
(excuse the wrinkle...grabbed this out of my hated UFO box
and yes, I do have UFO's now because I don't have a machine
that is capable of quilting!)

3) New to me
Quilting has been around for a very long time.
There are so many types of quilting that I want to try. 

I have never tried hand applique.
With my lack of a good machine,
this technique suddenly sounds fun to try.
(this is just a small piece of a large quilt that I want to do.
Find it on my side bar.)

 This Ricky Tims Convergence Quilt,
made by Gene Black
is a technique that I have also planned to try soon.

Of course, there is more stitchery in my future.
I am very hooked and will be showing you a finished project soon.
Below is the "Give Thanks" project on my side bar.
I'll be starting it next.

I want to do a more in-depth Bargello quilt.
I've been saving a set of fabric that I hand dyed in gradient pinks just for this.
I would like to create a breast cancer ribbon quilt.

 The thought of drafting my own patterns thrills me. 
Wayne's blog
(highlighted up top of this post)
is excellent in inspiring me on quilt drafting.
I am one of these people that are very unsure of myself.
Wayne makes it seem so easy!!

4) Teach-ability

Teaching is in my blood.
I've taught children from preschool age 
to adults how to quilt.
I love to make quilts that I can learn from,
so that I might turn around and teach the technique elsewhere.
I have a tutorial in the works:

What inspires you?








4 comments:

Gene Black said...

Thanks! I am glad I inspired you.

Lynda said...

People like you inspire me! I seem to be drawn to a quilt because of its colors too. I can tell from my long ago quilts that I was in a pastel stage or a brights phase etc. Now I just seem to love all colors and want to try every thing I see.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great post. You have inspired me. I'm a visual person and love your pictures and am looking forward to the tutorial.

P. said...

I think we're both inspired by many of the same things, from the looks of your list and your pictures. I have always been intrigued by those twisty bargello quilts too!