to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, January 10, 2011

My New Love

I have discovered a new love. Now, before my husband (who so sweetly reads my blog) jumps out of his skin I guess that I should say that I have a new SEWING love. And it's not even a machine. It's stitchery. AKA Hand Embroidery.

I used to do a lot of cross stitch; then took up quilting because my hands couldn't handle all that cross stitch.
Now some times my arm/shoulder can't handle quilting...so I took up stitching. I have found it to be a great stress reliever as well!

Just because stitching is a stress reliever doesn't mean that I do a good job of it. I started with the Gifts of Grace BOM. Notice...I said "started". I didn't say 'finished'. This is a fruit of the Spirit series and the first block was "Peace". Here is what it is supposed to look like:
(Click on photos to enlarge)

Well, here is what mine looked like. 
The stitching around the butterfly is awful!
I kept forgetting what I was doing and how to do it.
I tried a different type of stitch on the 'P' than she used;
and it is ok but not great. I haven't finished the other letters yet.

So, because the butterfly looked so bad;
I thought I would try stitching without having to do a blanket stitch
and just do some straight stitching instead.
Much better! 
But the Satin stitch of the "P" is awful this time around!
Notice the rest of the letters also are not finished.

I am not a quitter. I will keep practicing this type of stitching;
but I am not doing the rest of the Gifts of Grace blocks for now.
(And I wanted this to be a quilt gift too.
Sorry June...someday I will make you something. 
It just has to be perfectly suited for you!)

I actually am quitting because of my lack of floss.
(and lack of beads that would look so pretty. see top photo.)
Probably sounds silly to those of you that live near the city 
and can just run and buy some. 
I used to have every DMC color all sorted and stored and labelled.
It was lost I guess from my 'past life'. 
I somehow managed not to lose my inherited floss.
Isn't this awful??
Who would store their floss this way?
Not me!

So, for now I am going to start another stitchery project
that uses all one color of floss.
Much easier than trying to buy a bunch of colors right now.
(Oh hubby...my birthday is coming...I need floss...and I am not talking the dental kind!)

Stephen doesn't seem to think that I need to start another project.
He stole my sewing basket.
It is now a boat.








7 comments:

Groovy Pumpkin said...

Hi Tonya, I think it's great to have a go!! I don't think your work is bad at all - I love the fact that you can see it's been made by hand - that's the beauty of many things I like - please don't give up!!

You're one step ahead of me anyway, I haven't even started any hand embroidery yet - I'm too scared to start something new.

Jane xx

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Tonya,
I think it's simply beautiful!!!! Wishing you a Happy New Year!!!
XO

Pat said...

I like your butterfly too :)
Don't be too harsh on yourself.. we all learned as beginners at some point :) xx

Barb said...

What a cutie there.

I love the fact that you are not giving up. I am thinking of doing a stitchery BOM but just gathering supplies right now. Your work looks good...maybe you are just too hard on yourself?

Melissa said...

I don't stitch because my carpal tunnel just won't allow it. Practice does make perfect, though. Keep going!

Junibears said...

I used to embroider many, many years ago and always loved hand sewing, all my teddies were hand stitched. But arthritis takes it's toll. You go for it my lovely one. Go wherever the Spirit leads and enjoy. I'm sure your butterfly is beautiful.
PS. Love that babe in a basket!!
Hugs
June xx

Sharon said...

You are too hard on yourself! It really doesn't look that bad! One of the tips I found is to do the satin stitching first and then outline it with backstitching. It covers a multitude of uneven edges. :) I think you are doing great, so keep at it!!!! By the way, I think Stephen should keep the sewing basket. He looks so cute in it!!! :)