to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, December 20, 2010

NOT FOR EVERYONE

It has been quite some time since you heard from my son, Seth. 
He used to contribute almost weekly,
but life has been busy for him.

Today Seth is going to blog about a science project that he did.
Before I give him the 'floor' so to speak,
I want to tell you that this blog post is not for the faint of heart.
It is about dissecting a pig and it includes photos.
Also, please, no negative comments about animal rights, etc.
All negative comments will be deleted.
I could argue points as to why allow him to do this,
or why it is wrong...but I just don't want to get into it. 
So, either read on, with a tough stomach,
and enjoy seeing a young person excited about learning,
or move on along and come back tomorrow!

Hi!
This is Seth. 
This year  for my birthday,
I asked for a pig to dissect.
The photo below shows the pig 
and all the tools that I need to dissect.
I have a scalpel, a tray, 
dissection scissors, and a probe.
I also have surgical gloves.
Also I have a guide to help me dissect it correctly.

This is what the pig looks like out of the package.
The blue color is dye that they put in
to help me see where all the veins are and stuff.

First I cut it open,
and here is a photo of all the internal organs

I carefully cut out each organ
and dissected them each separately to learn more about them.
Below is a picture of the intestines...and yes, that is feces!


I really needed a bone slicer tool.
I ended up dulling my scissors while I was cutting the skull.
Here is the brains.

Next after that,
I opened up the eyes.
It was weird to look at the inner eye.

Lastly, I removed all the internal organs,
broke my scalpel in the process,
and here is a picture of the ribs.
(Note the blue dye).

That is the end of my dissecting.
This was a very fun and interesting project.
I did find out that I should have used eye protection, 
for the stomach acid likes to jump into your eyes unexpectedly.

Hopefully I won't wait so long to blog again.
And, I promise, next time won't be so gross.





5 comments:

NorthernStar said...

We never got to do dissection at school because it was a Christian college and they cut it from the curriculum. Always felt as though we missed out, it looks so interesting and you learn so much more than looking at pictures. We did dissect an onion once but it wasn't the same...

Good work Seth

QuiltSue said...

Not really my cup of tea, but how great to see someone so interested in their subject. I love that he asked for the pig for his birthday.

Heather said...

Very nicely done Seth! It's great to see you learning & growing. :) Dissecting may be on our to-do list someday & maybe you can give Ian some tips. I can't wait to see more of your blog posts! ~Aunt Heather

Judi said...

Wow did you do that on your own? The only thing I got to dissect was a frog and it wasn't dead at first. The teacher had to take it in the back after I couldn't pin down a moving (slowly) target. You did a great job.

marilyn said...

Ask your mom for Sheep plucks next. They 'pluck' the sheep trachea, heart, lungs, liver and other organs from the sheep when they kill them for their meat. If there is a local butcher around you can get them for pretty cheap. They are very similar to human insides and are very interesting and will not break your cutting instruments! there are lots of videos and lessons on the internet too. Good luck learning :) It's fun!