to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, November 29, 2010

Quilt Ministry -- Part 3 -- Prayer Quilts

The next kind of quilt that I want to make for the Quilt Ministry
is called a "Prayer Quilt". 


I first read about them on a couple of other blogs,
then started doing research,
and found the PrayerQuilts.org website.

While that organization is a good one,
it's not for me. 
Some of the rules just don't work for my situation.

What is a Prayer Quilt?
Here is how I will be making them:

First the quilt top is sewn. 
Often finished quilt tops are donated by quilters
who have extras just laying around.
(Yes...this happens alot. UFO's!!!)

After the quilt top is made,
the three layers of the quilt sandwich 
will be hand tied together.
(Like you used to see in the 'old days').
As I work on the quilt,
with each knot that I tie,
I will say a prayer for the recipient.
I can pray for their situation,
their family, their faith, 
their strength. 
So many things!!
(here is an example of a hand tied quilt)

Then, when finished, 
I will enclose a note telling them
about their prayer quilt,
and surprise them with the knowledge
that all this time they have been 
COVERED UNDER PRAYER.
(get it?)

I am so excited to get started.
Well, actually I have already started. 
Here's the beginning of one for the first request
that I received:

( I will show more when the quilt top is completed.)

Often prayer quilts are made for childrens hospitals,
and cancer patients.

I'll make them for anyone that asks,
but I have a 'target' group 
that I feel led to make quilts for.
I would like to make them for people that
 CARE FOR terminal loved ones.
Often the caretakers are overlooked,
and they really give and give of themselves.
How blessed they would be
 if they could know someone is praying for them!!

How can you help?
If you are a quilter:
Unwanted, lonely, unfinished
Quilt tops would be awesome!!

Also I need large pieces of fabric for borders and backing,
and I need batting. 

I will put specific needs up under the Quilt Ministry Tab.

8 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Great idea! The caregivers do often wear themselves out! They'll love knowing they too have been "covered in prayer."

Pat said...

How wonderful that you think of the carers.
God bless you xx

Junibears said...

What a lovely idea! I did the same sort of thing last year. I made Prayer shawls for each one of our old ladies in my Chapel and one for our lady minister.
I saw her yesterday and she told me she thinks of me twice a day when she says her prayers wearing hers. I thought that was wonderful. And of course I prayed over them as I crocheted.
Sending much love dear friend.
June xx

Heather said...

This is a great idea! I will definately be participating once the holiday rush is over! :)

Sarah Craig said...

Sounds like you're well on your way to a quilt ministry! Keep up the good work....

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, it is precious!! And a wonderful idea....I would have written to you yesterday, but I didn't know how to get back to your blog!!! I'm so glad you left a message so I could find you...this is truly beautiful and a wonderful gesture.
XO

John'aLee said...

Oh I just think this is a wonderful idea!
Thanks so much for your comment to me. I am on my daughter's computer so I couldn't leave you an email without it going to her address. Your comment made my day.There is nothing like someone 'truly' understanding. And to think I almost didn't post about how painful it was what my parents did.
I agree with you....it too has made me an awesome parent to my own kids.
I think we have a lot in common girl.

Kate @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I saw your note on Confessions of a Fabric Addict--I love the idea of a prayer quilt. We'd love to have you link up if you have a quilt you are donating this holiday season. Best, Kate