to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, November 1, 2010

My Quilting Story--Part 2

When I left off with part one of my quilting story,
I had received some beautiful quilts for Christmas.

(I wish I had photos to show you for this post,
but I really have nothing from this time period.)

The quilts were made by my brother, Todd (Kaliph).

Todd was four years older than I,
and if you read The Post about my mother and my childhood,
then you know things got rough for Todd and I.

Once again, I won't mention details,
but Todd was removed from our home about
two years after mom died. 
I didn't see him again until I was an adult.

When we met again,
we didn't get along very well.
No details ~ we just saw things differently.

I didn't hear from Todd again until 
right before Christmas 2002.
We both said our sorry's and I found out
that Todd could not work, nor could he drive.
He had epilepsy from a blow to the head.
I won't give details here either...but that blow happened
while he was young.

Todd had to move to a city that provided 
good public transportation, easily accessible food,
and easy access to his doctors.
You see, besides having epilepsy,
Todd was HIV positive.

 Todd changed his name to Kaliph
(to break away from his childhood. 
I can't blame him.) 
He spent his days volunteering.
He also started quilting near the end of his life.
He needed something that he could do from his apartment.
That is when he made those quilts for us.
Every stitch was done in spite of
intense pain and fatigue.

Well, as I said, I was hooked!! 
I went to my local quilt shop and 
just picked out my favorite pattern,
and started on it!!

Have patience with me,
Today's post about my brother 
was necessary as a background
before tomorrow's post with my
first quilts!!

4 comments:

B-Z-Quilting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B-Z-Quilting said...

What a touching story, and such amazing courage you and your brother have shown in the face of tragedy. I pray that God will bless you both in your adult lives and homes and continue to heal the hurt from your past. How nice that you both found quilting as therapy!

Ann Nichols said...

Art has such an amazing ability to heal... I'm looking forward to seeing photos. But you wrote that Todd started quilting "near the end of his life..." I am so sorry that he passed on. But so glad that he was able to leave you with his quilts and get you started on them! That is a great legacy.
I actually thought about you this morning because you said you were going to start going through St. Nicholas and Christmas with your son starting November 1s!. I can't tell you how much that touched my heart! This is the reason I am getting this work out of the computer file and into the world! After I hit my head last February I remember thinking how horrible I would feel if I could never go back to the computer and get this work out (And for three months I couldn't go near the computer!)... It just seemed wrong somehow.
Many blessings to you!
I treasure your blogging friendship and your comments!
Ann

SewCalGal said...

Heartfelt post. It is very special that you are willing to share this. And that you shared the love of quilting with Todd. Every stitch...don't forget.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com