to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, October 11, 2010

Back to the Basics

Well, I did it.
 I turned in the Big machine with all the bells and whistles.
 I didn't buy a new one yet.
 I have one on layaway. I don't even know if I'll end up getting that one. I am going to make monthly payments until tax time, and then we are going to re-think the whole machine thing and decide on a model. 

For now, I get to be challenged by making do with a very plain sewing machine.
It has straight stitch, and zig zag. 
That's it.


As a quilter, one of the most important things I need my machine to do is measure and accurate 1/4".
Thankfully this little machine has the capability of moving the needle position.
If I move it to the right, then the needle and foot line up to the 1/4" that I need.
One way to test this is to sew on some paper, then measure it with a ruler.
(By the way, this is how you make perforated paper.)


Oh, it isn't very straight!
 I am going to have to be very careful since I don't have my 1/4" foot with the guide to keep everything lined up. Here are a couple of tricks that might help me.

 Slow down the machine. Even this plain machine can be slowed. I just turned the foot pedal over, and used a plastic screwdriver to adjust it how I liked.


Also, I made a nice pile of masking/painters tape to the right of the 1/4" line.
This will gives something to butt the fabric up against.

This is a bit of a pain when changing bobbins or cleaning the machine, 
but that can't be helped for now.

My next purchase will be a 1/4" foot. 
It really is quite in-expensive, 
and will make a huge difference in my quilting. 
But, for now, I will learn to sew slow and patient!!




4 comments:

debi said...

I think you have the most important things covered and as long as it actually makes even stitches with no bobbin problems you will be an unfrustrated quilter! Happy sewing!

Heather said...

This is better then nothing! I'm glad you got something to hold you over until you can get a quilting machine. I envision lots of quilt tops being put together & ready to be quilted. ;)

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi Tonya
I am sure you will keep the thread flying with this one. Can't wait to see your next project
Blessings -
Blondie

peggy aplSEEDS said...

i should try putting some tape on my machine!