to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Other Hobby


This post was first published right at a year ago but since we had so many of you that have never heard of geocaching I am republishing today. 


Geocaching. 

I love it. 

Most people anymore have heard of it. 
But, if you don't know what it is, here is a quick run down:

I use one of these:



To hunt for one of these:



Or one of these:



Inside I find things like this:



But, all I really care about is signing this:



So that I can get add my numbers to this:



HBmamaG...that's me.
It stands for HillbillymamaGoose

Where are these caches?


You name it!
 There is one on the International Space Station, 
and one at the lowest point in the ocean. 
And everywhere in between. 
When you are walking along the path in your local park...

chances are...there is one there.

I have taken many a friend caching. 
(These brought tears to my eyes as I don't have any babies anymore. Babies of the dog variety that is):

Here is Seth and our beloved Dawg at Dawg's first cache. 
The cache is hidden under the rock.


This is Little Happy Guy. 
He was a trooper, and never minded getting messy.


Seth has his own Geocaching 'name'--SSCooL.
Here he is with his pal Rex. 
(Several years ago!!)

Rex was found wondering the streets on the famous Kansas City Plaza.
 We are at Three Dog Bakery, and they begged us to take him home. So we did.
 He was hard to cache with as he was strong and would pull hard to go running off through the woods!

Last, meet Joy. 
Her's is the best story yet.

One day I was geocaching in a state park. I was hidden from view-- high up on a hill. 
I saw a jeep back up to the park trail
and pop open the back end.
It scared me at first as the man was acting strange.
Turns out he was 'dumping' a dog.
But that's ok, as I was there to save her.
She ran right up the trail into my arms. 
The best cache treasure ever found!!

Life changes came a few years ago. 
Big ones.
Geocaching got put on the back burner.
I still loved it, I just couldn't do it anymore.
 I finally got to go on another with my new cache buddy.
Boy, he was little then.
Stephen loves the outdoors just like his Momma.




Want to find out more?
Check it out yourself.

You can even do a search for caches in your area.


2 comments:

Groovy Pumpkin said...

Here's one close to where I live: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f1283c3b-b388-4d32-9b51-3e8645c499f3. This looks like quite a fun hobby!

Jane x

Denise Marie said...

I've met some cachers! it must get a hook in ya. lol

Great Elf name!! still gotta think of an ornament project. :)