Monday, September 6, 2010

Metamorphosis Tutorial--Beginning Quilt series

I recently promised that I would help you turn this:
Into this:


.
When I design a quilt using pre-cuts (look HERE to find out what pre-cuts are), I try to use up every little piece of fabric as I am not a scrap type quilty person.
This pattern will make two runners...and will have two charm squares left over. (perfect for a label border on the back!)

Supplies
  • 1 charm pack
  • 3/4 yd solid (or reads as solid). I used a variety of turquoise-type hand dyes on mine
  • 1/3 yd solid. This is the dark wine middle square on my runner.
  • 1 1/2 yd border/binding fabric (I use the same for both. My sample isn't actually finished with binding-yet!)
  • 2 pieces of batting 35 X 65 
  • 2 pieces of backing 35 X 65 
This type of quilt block is called a "Disappearing 9-Patch". I like to call my version "Metamorphosis" because of the drastic change a little bit of cutting and sewing can make.

Start by cutting your fabric.
  1. Your 3/4 yd of solid needs to be cut into 40- 5x5 squares.
  2. Cut your 1/3 yd of solid into 10- 5x5 squares.
  3. Cut your border/binding fabric into 2 1/2" strips, lengthwise.
After cutting, sew simple 9 patches together as shown below. One charm square in each corner, one solid in between each, and a dark solid in the middle. You should make 10 of these:

Make sure they are all squared up, then cut them right down the middle. Use your ruler and cutting mat to make sure it is accurate!



Now, cut all the squares in half the other direction:



You now have 4 smaller squares. Leaving them in this setting, take each smaller square and separately turn them one-quarter turn to the right. (Clock-wise) Sew them back together.



Pick out your 6 favorite blocks. These will be the middles of each runner. (3 each)
Now, cut the other 4 squares in half on the diagonal to make very large half square triangles.



Lay out your runners to look like this. It will help you understand what order to sew in:
(awww and there are my infamous fuzzy slippers. They are forever upon my feet except when I am not home or if they are in the wash.)



Sew the top square and triangle together. Match seams well.
Repeat with the middle, and then the bottom.
A couple of helpful hints here:
When pinning, pin the corners first and get them all lined up good:



When sewing, if you get a messed up corner from your machine "eating it", as below...



Then use a leader scrap. See, nice and pretty now. I never use leader scraps unless I'm sewing points.



This is what the edge will look like. Do NOT trim it!



But you can trim these when you get to them:



Only after sewing all the blocks together, then the rows together can you square up things like this:



Guess what? Time for the borders. We are going to cheat this time, and not measure. Just sew one 2 1/2 inch strip to the right side of the end, trim, and then the left side. Repeat for other end. 







Now, add borders on each side and trim even.
You will need to line up this border on an angle line to trim it correctly.
Layer, quilt, trim, and bind as desired!



(If you don't know how to bind, I will teach that very soon. 
Also be watching my blog for free-motion practice.)

If you decide to make this pattern, and blog about, please send a courtesy link back to me.
If you don't blog, send me a photo and I'll display it for you!







1 comment:

Pat said...

My! So much work involved.. it is fascinating to watch. You really do make it look easy, like most maestros do :)