to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Learn to Quilt--Project 2--On-the-Go Placemat- Supplies

I am learning that by popular demand that
You want to learn how to make these:



Well, gather your supplies...I'll begin teaching you how on Friday!
(I'll even throw in a binding tutorial this time!)

For ONE placemat you will need:

A 13 x 17 piece of batting (for placemats I like something thin. Fleece or two layers of WASHED flannel work nicely as well.)

A roll of 1" masking or painters tape

A 36" piece of ribbon. 

Plasticware to match

Fabric. I use a variety of  fabrics for mine. I use one for the front, one for the back,  another for the pockets and binding, and maybe even another for the napkins.  I am not giving you yardages because these are all small pieces. BUT...if you are buying yardages, about 1 yard of fabric will do 1 placemat. So buy four yards, and divide it all up making a nice matching set of four!

Cut your fabric this way:

2--13 X 17 (one for the front, one for the back)
2--10 x 10 (for the napkin; I like to make mine reversible)
1--10 X 17 (for the plasticware pocket)
1--6 1/2 X 6 1/2 ( for the napkin pocket)
1--6 x 6 (for the napkin pocket)

Also, have a 1/4 yard of fabric (not a fat quarter)per placemat on hand for the binding.  (And no--it won't be bias binding...NO quilting police allowed!) 

I am making a cute little gingerbread placemat set for the tutorial. There are so many possibilities. Please help me in spreading the word about the tutorial. Will you be following along?

2 comments:

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Oh, these look so FUN - thank you for sharing, dear one!
Blondie

Pat said...

Will certainly be following along.. and storing the how to in my brain, against the day I unpack the machine again :) xx