Sunday, September 26, 2010

Learn to Quilt--Project 1--an Afterthought

I have been happily quilting along, taking time finishing my runner from the tutorial. As I was quilting, I was trying to think how else I might want to quilt it, when a design jumped out at me that I didn't plan. It just happened along, and is so neat, I thought I would share it with you. First of all let me share someone else's runner and candle mat that they made from the tutorial:


Isn't it beautiful?! 
Visit Sherry, over at Blessings from our Nest
to see more pics of the runner and the candle mat.  
You can also visit 
to get in on a give-away that Sherry is having right now.

Now, on to my finished runner.
For my second one, I went ahead and did binding and finished as normal.

When I was quilting along, I noticed a pattern that I was making that I really didn't 'plan on'. 
Here is an up close view of the quilting:

If you look very close, you can see that I quilted big X's across the large squares, 
and quilted little X's across all four patches in the pieced squares. 
Now, if you observe even better, you'll notice that the middle of the X in the big squares forms the bottom of 4 different hearts. See it? 

I drew out a couple of squares on graph paper:
 I drew the hearts in green. Can you see them now? They look kind of like chunky "L's" unless you turn them as it did in the single green heart that I drew. 

Anyway...I hope you understand my scribbles.
 I just wanted to show you that this is a very nice way to quilt this pattern, 
and now I think it will be fun to make this runner in some pinks and reds or some florals.
 It would look pretty with the quilted hearts pattern. 



3 comments:

Sherry said...

Thanks for sharing my runner and for mentioning my giveaway. I had a great time sewing both of these items and also enjoyed the quilting part but didn't quilt as much as you did. Next time I will make sure I have enough fabric to make my outer border large enough. We leave for our trip on Tuesday Morning so will not be adding blog posts but will read a few when I geat a chance. Thanks again for the tutorial and I would love to do it again some time.

Pat said...

Sherry's piece came out beautifully - you must be thrilled someone could do that from your tutorial, Tonya! I would be :)

Love the colours you've used in this latest one xx

QuiltSue said...

That's so cute. I love the way secondary patterns can just happen sometimes.