to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I feel like Don Music

I'll NEVER get it. NEVER. NEVER. NEVER.

Poor Don tried to write music on Sesame Street for years! While I may not be a writer, and can very much relate to his frustrations when it comes to free motion quilting!! I want to quilt pretty designs like these:

Or these:



I have been quilting for 8 years, and am trying so hard to doodle so prettily using my needle like many other quilters do...but my noodle and my needle don't communicate through my fingers very well. 

I am embarrassed to show you just how BADLY I did on my Metamorphasis quilt. I knew it was just a practice quilt, so I have been playing around with it for two weeks now trying to learn to draw/quilt pretty.

I have come to a conclusion after 8 years of trying and trying.... Here it is, my great insight...

IF A PERSON CAN'T DRAW WITH A PENCIL,
 THEN MOST LIKELY THEY CAN'T DRAW WITH A NEEDLE!


At least I have the hang of this:

So, I am going to do something I love much better, design and piece a new quilt.
(Don't worry, just like Don Music. I will keep trying. Maybe once a week. Til it frustrates me into wanting to bang my head. Then it goes away for awhile.
Like now. It's going away--for at least a week!

Is there any part of your craft/hobby that you just NEVER GET no matter how hard you work at it?


2 comments:

Pat said...

I like Don Music's alternative tune - just like I prefer your quilt random pattern to the obvious :)

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, I love those free-motion quilts and I think this looks great! If you're not comfortable with it, there may be someone at a store who could show you how to do a bigger pattern that is less time-consuming...that would be easier. But, I love what you did!
Hugs,
Cindy