to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Learn to Quilt--Project 1--Supplies

We are going to start our Learn to Quilt Beginning quilt soon, so it is time to get ready!


Here is what we are making:

We are actually making two items, the table runner shown above,
(approx 32" X 22")
and this small candle mat (or trivet) shown below.
(approx 11" X 15")


Why make two items?
The little candle mat/trivet is for you to be able to make something quickly, and learn that this isn't so hard after all.
Then, we'll tackle the larger table runner. It will be easy too!

Here is what you need for this project:

TOOLS
Sewing Machine
Rotary Cutter
Self Healing Cutting Mat
Gridded quilting ruler
Seam Ripper (don't think you'll need it, huh? Buy one anyway :0)
For your sewing machine...1/4" foot and walking foot
(if you don't understand any of the above, look on the right in the side bar for the related topic)
Brand new sewing machine needle 

SUPPLIES
1-charm pack. 
2/3 yard of coordinating fabric for the borders
1 yard of coordinating fabric for the backs
2 pieces of batting slightly larger than each finished quilt
Coordinating thread 

A few notes....
  • Your sewing machine needle needs to be changed about every project. A universal needle is fine for this project.
  • Any charm pack will work. You can GO HERE for a nice selection. 
  • Batting can be confusing because there is so much out there. And each person is different! For this project just use something thin (or low-loft). I use Warm and Natural 100% cotton, but fleece will even work great for this project.
  • Thread is another very debated subject. Don't worry about it too much here at the beginning. You can use one kind for piecing and another for quilting, or use the same. Gutermann is my favorite, but not always available. If all you can get at your local "W" store is Coats and Clark get the heavier dual duty kind.


We will begin Monday, let me know what charm packs that you will be using. It will be fun to see the variety!



7 comments:

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

P.S. I forgot to mention...we are NOT making binding this first time, so no worries there!

Regina said...

love the colors:) autumn is my favorite time of year:) i'm a fall baby and there is just so much richness... i'm working on an irish chain quilt right now... i chose to go with the double seminole border so it is taking forever! thanks for the inspiration here... i need a kick in the pants to get it finished! it was for my dad's bday on aug 2 but i have this creative curse where i do everything creative :) lol. NICE:)!

Heather said...

I can't wait to see the tutorial! I'll be sewing along but I'll be pulling the fabric from my stash. I'm sure you know I've got plenty of it ;)

Paula said...

Cant wait to get started. Im using fall colors.

Pat said...

Beautiful autumn colours. Looking forward to seeing what people do. Will you post their photos once they've finished?

Sherry said...

I am excited about joining in. I will look for my charm pack today.

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

I am happy you are all joining me! I look forward to starting the posts!