to my readers

This blog is now all about my personal life, including updates concerning Jerry's health. For quilt and pattern related posts please visit HillbillyQuiltShop.blogspot.com

Monday, August 9, 2010

Learn to Quilt--Project 1--Day 1

Are you excited to begin our very first Learn to Quilt tutorial? I sure am! Do you have a fresh, brand new needle in your sewing machine and has the hook been oiled recently? Let's get started...

If you missed the post with the supply list, you can find it RIGHT HERE. If, at any time, you get stumped on what something is, you can always look over at the right side bar. I will post the tutorial links there as well so that  you can easily refer back to them at any time. Or, better yet, you can refer to THIS PAGE on MY WEB SITE, because you know that you love spending time there, having a look around. :)

You should have a pack of charms (or 42 different 5" squares), and fabric for the borders, and fabric for the backing. Set aside everything but the charm pack. That is all we will use at first.
 Now, look through your charm pack and pick out 15 of your favorite squares. These squares will remain un-cut. I picked out squares that have larger scale print, and no plain squares. Here is my selection of 15:

Set these aside. Now pick one more square. It can be your least favorite. It is an extra that is needed for the pieced border. Set this extra square aside as well. 
Now, take the rest of the squares and match them up. Make sure they contrast good, for example, don't put the same color squares together.

This is a good contrast:



This is a bad contrast:



As you match them up, place RIGHT SIDES (or pretty sides) together, just as I have shown in the two above photos. When you match them, make sure that all edges are perfectly lined up.

Your finished edge should look like this:

 As you sew, you don't need to clip off each one to start the next. Just leave them all hooked together. This is called "Chain Piecing". It is faster, plus it works better because your machine is less apt to 'eat' your fabric at the corners.



When you are finished with all 13 sets, then you can clip the threads in between the squares:


Next, making sure that your squares are lying flat, and all sides are even, sew down the opposite edge the exact same way. Your finished squares should have two edges sewn at 1/4":



We will stop there for today. I will continue with the next step on Thursday.(We will be cutting!)

 At that time, you should have:
15 of your favorite squares
1 extra square
13 square sets, sewn at 2 opposite edges. 

Have fun!


8 comments:

Heather said...

Great post so far! I can't wait to see Thursday's post! :)

Sherry said...

I am excited! I am at work but will get this done as soon as I can, hopefully this evening.

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

Hi Tonya,

What a beautiful looking project! I really need to spend more time here and learn about quilting.

Thanks so much for your visit today and your question about the magazine's statement of faith. I looked at the web site and the "parent magazine" web site for a statement of faith and didn't see one. I know it aligns with what I believe, but I understand your desire to see it in writing, I would ask for the same thing and am not at all offended. I'm glad you asked, I should add one to my blog.

I will email the editor and get back to you just as soon as I can. I would love to have this be a resource for your group.

Thanks,
Erin

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Tonya,
This is a great tutorial...I sure wish you would link it up to the big link party I am having on Whimsical Musings...It's called the Creative Spirit challenge...and at the end of the challenge, someone will be randomly crowned Miss Creative Spirit for August...

Would love to have you join us!

And I'm so happy that the Monday Message was inspirational....I know that I try to write about things that affect each one of us at one time or another....I guess we all struggle at one time or another, but it's great to know that we're all in this together!

Love,
Cindy

Home's Where My Heart Is said...

Hi Tonya,

Me again! I just wanted to come back and thank you for commenting on the post today that Trudy wrote. The 3 of us actually share a very similar story. And I echo your sentiments of Romans 8:28, God works things out for the good of those who love Him. That is my favorite verse.

We are also in agreement about church and legalism. We do attend church, and while we're very conservative folks, we are also very casual. Most wear jeans and each and every Sunday my husband wears his baseball cap to church, as do many other men. That is just who they are, and our church, like God, is "come as you are".

If you are ever interested in sharing your story on my blog please let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

XO,
Erin

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

Sherry...I hope that you will post pics when you are done. You said that you are using fall fabrics, didn't you? I love fall quilting the most of all I think.

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, I love it!
Your blog is so nice!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia
www.msbinglesvintagechristmas.com

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This is a great idea! Nicely written, too:)