Do you know that last year at this time I could have told you exactly how many days until Christmas? I could have told you way back in June!! But, that is because I knew our little Christmas baby would be born before Christmas. The first due date was January 6th. I laughed. Then, they were pretty sure it would be around January 1st. Nope. I was determined that he be born BEFORE Christmas. Trust me. No woman enjoys those last few months of pregnancy, but a 40 year old woman enjoys them even less. (Having been pregnant at 20, at 40 and once in between I can say this.) If you don't know, our precious bundle was born December 23rd, and came home Christmas morning.
Anyway...all that rambling was to say...I have NO idea how many days until Christmas. But what I do know...
We own NO Christmas Decorations. No tree, no stockings, no ornaments, not a thing. We just have had a few crazy years, so we have nothing. What I do know...for the first time in like 20 years or so, I have room for a tree! A real live tree!! So, I want to have a little fun.
Let's have a huge, worldwide ORNAMENT EXCHANGE. Wouldn't it be fun to exchange them from people all over the world?? Even more fun would be to exchange them with all different types of artisans, using all different mediums!
I have been thinking on this for a few days, just how I would handle it. Here is how it will work:
- You contact me. You may leave a comment on the blog , via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or on the facebook Great Holiday Ornament Exchange Fanpage.(there will be a section under the discussion tab) In the comment, you need to tell me exactly how many you are interested in making/exchanging.
- We will do this penpal style. I will match you up with however many that you want to exchange. If you want to make 12 and exchange 12, then I will give you 12 names. Just because you 'get' a name, doesn't mean that they will 'get' you. It will all depend on entries, preferences, etc.
- Make it simple!! You can make them as complex as you want but the whole idea is to have fun. And to fill my bare, un-purchased tree with ornaments. You can use paper, wood, fabric...whatever! Just please make sure they are collector quality. You want the person receiving them to be able to cherish them!
- You are responsible for all shipping. We will have a ship date of December 12, 2010. (For this year...if it works, we'll do it again!) Please keep in mind that overseas shipping can be expensive, so plan this when deciding how many you want to make.
- Include the family. Kids are welcome. This is a great way to teach them how to make something very special for someone else. Keep in mind kids will be involved. All ornaments must be family friendly/appropriate.
- You must let me know what you are making...this way I can make sure recipients get a variety. Your idea secret will be safe with me. If you don't mind sharing, I will make a dedicated page on My Website for others to see.
I am digging out the Christmas music for inspiration!!