Friday, August 20, 2010

The Great Holiday Ornament Exchange



Do you know that last year at this time I could have told you exactly how many days until Christmas? I could have told you way back in June!! But, that is because I knew our little Christmas baby would be born before Christmas. The first due date was January 6th. I laughed. Then, they were pretty sure it would be around January 1st. Nope. I was determined that he be born BEFORE Christmas. Trust me. No woman enjoys those last few months of pregnancy, but a 40 year old woman enjoys them even less. (Having been pregnant at 20, at 40 and once in between I can say this.) If you don't know, our precious bundle was born December 23rd, and came home Christmas morning.


Anyway...all that rambling was to say...I have NO idea how many days until Christmas. But what I do know...
We own NO Christmas Decorations. No tree, no stockings, no ornaments, not a thing. We just have had a few crazy years, so we have nothing. What I do know...for the first time in like 20 years or so, I have room for a tree! A real live tree!! So, I want to have a little fun.


Let's have a huge, worldwide ORNAMENT EXCHANGE. Wouldn't it be fun to exchange them from people all over the world?? Even more fun would be to exchange them with all different types of artisans, using all different mediums!

I have been thinking on this for a few days, just how I would handle it. Here is how it will work:

  1. You contact me. You may leave a comment on the blog , via email (hillbillyhandiworks@gmail.com), or on the facebook Great Holiday Ornament Exchange Fanpage.(there will be a section under the discussion tab) In the comment,  you need to tell me exactly how many you are interested in making/exchanging.
  2. We will do this penpal style. I will match you up with however many that you want to exchange. If you want to make 12 and exchange 12, then I will give you 12 names. Just because you 'get' a name, doesn't mean that they will 'get' you. It will all depend on entries, preferences, etc.
  3. Make it simple!! You can make them as complex as you want but the whole idea is to have fun. And to fill my bare, un-purchased tree with ornaments. You can use paper, wood, fabric...whatever! Just please make sure they are collector quality. You want the person receiving them to be able to cherish them!
  4. You are responsible for all shipping. We will have a ship date of December 12, 2010. (For this year...if it works, we'll do it again!) Please keep in mind that overseas shipping can be expensive, so plan this when deciding how many you want to make.
  5. Include the family. Kids are welcome. This is a great way to teach them how to make something very special for someone else. Keep in mind kids will be involved. All ornaments must be family friendly/appropriate. 
  6. You must let me know what you are making...this way I can make sure recipients get a variety. Your idea secret will be safe with me. If you don't mind sharing, I will make a dedicated page on My Website for others to see. 
Feel free to spread this all over the internet, on other blogs, forums, twitter, facebook, etc. The more the merrier!



I am digging out the Christmas music for inspiration!!

18 comments:

Peace 2 U Designs By Syds said...

This sounds like so much fun.
By yhe way,I had my first and only at 36,changed my whole life and for the good!

Lynda said...

Our last baby was born when I was 38 and she has been a delight! I think I enjoyed her so much because I wasn't as uptight about things. She is now 26 and just had her 1st baby. Where does the time go??? Love the Missouri Star block...it is amazing. Your Christmas ornament sounds like fun. Hope you get lots of people signed up. Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering the giveaway. Good luck!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

Hi Tonya! Stephen looks so cute as his tiny new self! Mine were born at ages 33 and 35 (well, my age, not theirs LOL) so I know where you're coming from! Your ornament exchange sounds interesting - I'll go check it out. And thanks for your comment on my fox post! I don't think I'll have the problem you did -- this is a pretty good sized town. But I keep looking outside for him again!

Groovy Pumpkin said...

This sounds like a very interesting idea - I'll have to get my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with for an ornament - I'd like to do one in crochet, so will take it from there!

Jane x

Amy aka: ropergirl3 said...

I would love to get in on this too!

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

Jane and Amy...glad to see you like the idea! Right now I am just trying to spread the word all over the place. I think as we make ornaments and post them with a link back to this it will help draw interest. I hope!!

ja ro said...

Count me in! I'd like to participate in the ornament exchange!

Eileen said...

I sure would like to try, but wondering if I am going to have the time, I have a big show in December having surgery shortly and working and watching kids, let me think on it, I have about a week til surgery and let's see how that goes first. but it is a great idea!!

Denise Marie said...

Let me think on it and look at my stash and would love to trade ornaments.

Aprons by MeMe said...

I would love to do this And am thinking of what to make!! Sounds like fun.

Deer Mountain Creations said...

I would like to commit to 5 - just let me know who I need to send them to :) Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks for starting this Tonya!
Freida

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

It is great to see more people committing!
Freida...we will wait a bit on getting addresses. But, I will right you down for 5. I imagine it will take a month or so for people to really start getting interested, but by then fall decor will be done and people will focus more on Christmas.

Its So Very Cheri said...

How fun. I am a Christmas baby--born on Christmas Day.

cheri from Its So Very Cheri and DIY Club inc

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

Really Cheri? How did your parents work out your bday when you are little?
We are thinking the weekend before for our little guy.

Laura said...

I'd love to join...Can I make embroidery lace? I love it?

Hillbilly Handiworks said...

Oh, that would be fantastic!!!

Sherry said...

I would love to join the exchange. I was thinking that I should try 4 or 5. I am not sure what type of materials I will use. Keep me posted.

Saundra said...

I would love to exchange ornaments. Put me down for two. I'm afraid of mailing (expense and packing glass) So I'll just do two this go round.